Date(s) - 05/20/2018
10:00 am to 12:00 pm
About The Walk to End Elder Isolation
The Walk to End Elder Isolation is FriendshipWorks’ Third Annual Walk. Our goals this year are to greatly expand the number of walkers (with your help!) and raise $100,000, all while enjoying the beauty of Jamaica Pond in Jamaica Plain with colleagues, friends, family, and even your dog.
Form a team, become a sponsor, walk in honor or memory of a special elder, or dedicate the walk to an important friendship. You need to take the first step….and be part of The Walk to End Elder Isolation!
FriendshipWorks: Ending Elder Isolation, Creating Connections
A growing epidemic in Boston and around the country is finally getting the attention needed to help eradicate it. Is it an illness? No, but it is serious. It is the epidemic of social isolation and loneliness experienced by elders every day.
Many of these seniors suffer in silence, without family or friends to provide friendship and support. There is a way out for them, and it is called FriendshipWorks, whose mission is to reduce social isolation, enhance quality of life, and preserve the dignity of older adults in Greater Boston.
On Sunday, May 20, 2018, FriendshipWorks will hold The Walk to End Elder Isolation, which will:
- Provide education about and build awareness of social isolation and its effects on elders
- Raise funds to ensure isolated elders can get the help they need
We ask that you join us as a partner in this timely and important effort.
Learn more about The Walk to End Elder Isolation at www.crowdrise.com/walk4elders
For almost 34 years, FriendshipWorks has been a pioneer in implementing simple and effective solutions to the serious health risks posed by social isolation in the elder community. Our vision is to end elder isolation.
To date, FriendshipWorks has provided over half a million hours of donated care to 25,000 Boston-area seniors, a value of more than $10.5 million.
- FRIENDLY VISITING: volunteers are matched with older adults for weekly companionship
- MEDICAL ESCORTS: a service where volunteers accompany elders to and from medical appointments
- FRIENDLY HELPERS: volunteers provide one-time and short-term assistance to elders
- PETPALS: volunteers and their screened pets visit elders living in long-term care facilities
- MUSICWORKS: bringing the joy of music to elders, in groups and individual sessions
- RELAXING THROUGH THE ARTS: connecting nursing home residents through art and haiku
You can learn more about FriendshipWorks at www.fw4elders.org